Monday, February 28, 2011

Salty Bacon Chocolate Cracker Cookie - My Oscar Night Party Treats

My little sister Kat worked on True Grit so naturally we went to her house for an Oscar party.   She packed like 20+ people into her studio and the party was...how do you say....super (!*@# fun. 

She told me "just bring wine..."

Yeah right.   I mean...I am a foodie...I can't roll to a party without bringing some goodies.   I also didn't want to out do what she had planned so I decided to bring something that was simple, tasty, and of course made you really want to eat it.



So I racked my brain and an idea came out of it.   When we were at my families house in St Louis, MO we ate these chocolate cracker treats that were simple and delicious.   So I looked up the recipe and found it on cooks..com


Cooks.com Chocolate Top Saltines

1 stick butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 c. sugar
Saltine crackers
12 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts

Line 13 x 9 inch pan with foil and then saltines. Melt butter, sugar and vanilla in a small pan. Pour over saltines and bake at 350 degrees for 8 minutes. Remove from oven. Cover with chocolate chips. Let chips melt and spread evenly with back of spoon. Sprinkle with walnuts. Chill. Remove foil and break cookies into pieces.

Now this was delicious but REALLY REALLY SWEET.   I love sweetness but I wanted to do something to balance it a bit...

How recently I ate at Flour and Water in San Francisco.  While there I had their dessert that was like chocolate mousse with sea salt on top.  The salty sweet combo was OFF THE HOOK.

Ok idea.

Lets bring a level of saltiness to this dish to punch it up.     So where can I find salty that isnt as obvious as salt???????

B
A
C
O
N
BACON!!!!!

So the new plan was to up the amount of butter in this recipe to add 2 more tablespoons and a bit more sugar to make it richer.   Then when sprinkling on the the chopped walnuts add some crispy salty bacon with sea salt.   If I punch it up with salty bacon and make it more buttery to tie it up with a butter bow (salt in butter should be the evener on the salty flavor) then this will be AMAZING.

And what happened....

PURE DELICIOUSNESS

I mean absurd.   Choco-bacony YUM YUM YUM

Here are the pics:


YUM YUM CHOCOLATE BACON!!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment