Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Truffled Sausage Pizza with Fresh Tomatoes and Sage - MY FIRST PIZZA!

So in my travels I ran into a pizza stone at a buddies house.   This thing was awesome.   I never thought I could make my own semi-legit pizza at home.  YAY!   God help my belly because I am going to do this all the time now!  hehehe.  

Since discovering this I went to my local kitchen store and picked myself up a nice pizza stone.   

The first thing I needed to tackle was figuring out how to deal with a ball of fresh pizza dough.   To be quite honest I am went through 3 pizzas before I really had something that was "ok".   I need to continue to improve it.    I think the key is to put a little olive oil on the pizza when you are spinning it out.    For some reason this made the pizza easier to stretch.  

This brings me to another point.   Spinning a pizza is possibly the most fun thing in the world.    I have stared in awe at  my local pizza spots for years and I employed the techniques I witnessed in doing it at home.  it is easy and fun!    use your fists.   Stretch it out slowly.  It is easy as pie and super happy fun times :) 

Now I have to admit I still need to do work here but the olive oil discovery on the dough definitely changed things for me.   I am going to try again soon and see if I make an improvement.   In this pizza the crust was still too thick but was super close to wonderful.   Almost there!

Ok now let move on to what I put on the pizza :)

Here is an ingredient shot:


I used simple goodness....
Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
Fresh Sage
Sweet Italian Sausages
Vine Ripened Tomatoes
Red Chili Flakes
Salt
Pepper
Parmesan Cheese
Black Truffle Infused Olive Oil

Simple!  

I started by heating up a pan and tossing in some truffle oil.  I took the sausage out of its "casing" and tossed the chopped up meat in the pan.  Once it began to brown I put in about 1.5 tablespoons of fresh chopped sage and salt to add a nice flavor to the meat and balance the truffle flavor.  

I coated the dough in a thin layer of truffle oil.   Put on nice thing pieces of mozzarella everywhere.  Layered on the sausage and then thin sliced vine ripened tomatoes.   From there I put on the chili flakes (about 1 teaspoon) and then tossed it in the over until it was nice and crispy.

I finished it with more sage, more chili flakes, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese.  

What did I get?   Deliciousness!  I need to improve the crust but I am well on my way to a perfect pizza at home!  YUM YUM PIZZA!

Finished Product:


No comments:

Post a Comment